How would I build this adjustable spreader bar?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
leafnode

How would I build this adjustable spreader bar?

Post by leafnode »

Hey people,

How would I build this: its basically an adjustable spreader bar, but it can be extended or retracted freely, like a telescoping bar without a spring. The range is say 15" (fully retracted) to about 30" (fully extended).

Here how it is used. Put on a collar with a D-ring in front and two wrist cuffs with D-rings. Take two of these bars, and attach one end of each to the collar. Attach the other end to each wrist cuff, 1 bar per cuff. You can move your hands about and extend them to the limit, but you can't bring them close to the collar or your head. The effect is similar to a shrew's fiddle but your hands have mobility. Cuffs need to be locked on, and probably the collar as well if it is loose and can be rotated on your neck (depending on the minimum length, there is a way to exploit the rotation to get one of your hands to touch the collar.)

I'm sure that I could find the supplies to build it at the hardware store, but I'm not sure what would be best. Mostly want something that is cheap, relatively strong, and lightweight. Its probably some form of plastic pipe for the bars, with some kind of anchor to prevent them from sliding out, and attachment points on either end. Any ideas?
bobbi

Re: How would I build this adjustable spreader bar?

Post by bobbi »

if you dig around the home improvement stores, you can find this pvp pipe:

and you can play with them in the store to find one size that fits perfectly inside another without any flopping around. like an extending flag pole. you can usually even buy them in various lengths or have them cut you a length.

then you slide the smaller one in the bigger one, drill holes all the way through. pull the little one out a little. drill another hole in the little pipe through the big pipe. pull the little one put more... etc etc etc. then you can bolt it through to lock it at any length.

they also have endcaps you can pop on the ends of the pipes to put mounting rings in and whatnot.

its how i built the anal impaler that can be adjusted to any height which can change depending on who and what shoes, etc.

lj

Post by lj »

a couple of thoughts...

why do they need to be adjustable in length ? as you could easily establish the required length and cut tubes to that length

also, rather than use eyelets, just drop a length of chain down the tube and lock the cuffs/collar onto the chain close to the tube end
be a switch, double the fun :-)
leafnode

Post by leafnode »

@bobbi

Thanks! How do the endcaps attach to the pipes securely, using glue or something?

BTW, I love your DIY stocks, hope to build those someday :)

@lj

You are correct, in fact they don't need to be adjustable. I built a working prototype using a thin chain and tubes extracted from a drying rack similar to this one:
http://www.target.com/p/Whitmor-Drying- ... A-10850062

Only problem with that is that the chain is so thin that standard small master locks don't fit through the links. I have some cheapo locks that I got from sub shop which do fit through, and these provide larger loops that I can attach better locks to, while also holding the tubes in place. But, I think I'd like to omit the chain entirely, since it clanks around and makes a little noise inside the tube.

Some of the tubes from that drying rack just have plastic screw housings which can be removed, and those are the tubes I use with the chain. Other tubes have metal screw housings which can't be removed and prevent the chain from passing through; so I can't use those tubes with the chain, but I wonder if I could get some eyebolts and screw them onto the ends, thereby eliminating the need for the chain...
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

Ikea clothes rail!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/16684783/

The uprights are telescopic, locked with a thumb screw. they have a threaded hole in each end that will take an M5 bolt for attaching cuffs.

It is possible to shorten the poles, by dismantling, pulling off the plastic spacer and applying a hacksaw and drill.
scotsman

Post by scotsman »

If you are looking for an electric version, google (other search engines are available!) for electric linear actuators.
They are used for satellite dish positioning and door opening, gate openers etc.
You can buy them for 50 to 150 dollars and they have a mighty strong push or pull.
All sorts of uses can be thought up from bondage to your spreaders, limit your imagination!!

More details to follow -- if anyone is interested
Jadit

Post by Jadit »

Audrey_CD wrote:Ikea clothes rail!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/16684783/
Poor guys, have no idea where their products are really used for :lol:
BigMan

Post by BigMan »

At a hardware store you should be able to purchase a good thick dowel. (A solid wood stick). 1 inch should work. Mount in vice and drill holes every 2 inch or so. If you also buy some rings that would slide over the shaft with some room to still attach a lock, snap clip or w/e. You can place bolts, or all-thread with nuts though holes you drilled to act as stoppers for the rings. This allows for 1 pieces of equipment to act as a multi function bar, that can be taken apart and stored as hardware (nuts and bolts and rings), and a stick (stored in closet or basement rafters, ect.).
Descreet, simple, multi-use, cheap, and easy.
:)
iceman

Post by iceman »

get an extendable snow brush. cut off the ends add your hooks or rings and you are done. They already have an easy to use locking mechanism for locking it open or closed and are lightweight but srong enough to prevent breaking.
duckman74

Post by duckman74 »

Okay, this is a great idea, but I've run into the same problem that I continue to have... and that is what kind of dildo/vibrator to top it with, and how to do about attaching said item? Do you screw it on there, and if that's the right method, what kind of "toy" would resist that kind of abuse?
BigMan

Post by BigMan »

As far as attaching the dildo I would think that Impaler has the idea.

Maybe a vac loc system would also work. It a bit to describe but if you search Amazon for vac lock o loc foldout you should get the idea.

As far as making a T bar (spreader+impailer), easy way would.be to lash them with a good rope. Maybe use paratrooper cord. Another more solid.way, would be to use 2 opposing u-bolts. This will require holes to be drilled or at least be present. The u-bolts going around the intersecting support.

Originally I posted in here about the dowel, and I still think they are a good idea, another would be to use C-channel. It is metal and already has holes put in it. I like the dowel idea best but if I did use the channel, I would use the low-profile type.
keithmann

Post by keithmann »

I made several using a 1 1/2" dowel with eye bolts at various locations. Pre drill pilot holes before screwing the eye hooks in. I then covered them with several items like leather and parachute cord.