Help Designing a Locking Collar (CAD)

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
mrbob13

Help Designing a Locking Collar (CAD)

Post by mrbob13 »

So i have tried multiple months to get a rigid collar made off cuff24.com (bought a fiddle from him a few years back and it was awesome), but have had not luck contacting martin in the last 2 years.

I decided the other day to see if i could design one myself so I grabbed FreeCAD a few days ago and started learning it. the design process is going well but i am very unfamiliar with CAD software and the manufacturing process. is there anyone who has done anything similar to this? plus i would like if someone could look at my design and give me a few pointers on what i might need to fix.
pavtron

Re: Help Designing a Locking Collar (CAD)

Post by pavtron »

Post an STL and let's see what you have so far.
mrbob13

Post by mrbob13 »

I have the STL File attached. Originally when i made it there are two different pieces, but they are not showing up well in this file.

Link to file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6k83x3ll9e8r ... r.stl?dl=0
Please let me know if link is not working

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

That kind of resembles an automotive exhaust "Split Flange" repair flange. Automotive ones might be too small, have never seen one pair make a circle bigger than 3 inches, but maybe daisy chain 3 or 4 of those halves to make the right size? Like the way the halves have interlocking ends on the automotive application. I would weld all the ends together, except the "hinge". Otherwise, it could collapse around your neck.
Last edited by Shannon SteelSlave on 22 Feb 2019, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠
mrbob13

Post by mrbob13 »

That split flange is a neat idea; might explore that further.

The end state though is that i want to design an make a Rigid stock. I am using this project as a stepping stone to that final goal. when this collar is all done i am hoping to make it about 2 inches tall and about 1.5 inches wide. been a really fun project so far, but i have zero CAD experience. everything i normally do is 3d modeling in blender. i started off making it in blender and it turned out pretty good. modeling in CAD is bizzare.
pavtron

Post by pavtron »

Looks like a great start. I like the laminated layering!

Here are my first thoughts... Keep in mind... I have no idea what I'm doing. :)
  • Add more layers. But rotate the Y axes 180°every other layer so the open end looks like it has a nasty bite on both sides. --- I just looked closer at your rendering. Looks like that is exactly what you have already. It just doesn't show in the SLT. See pic bellow.
  • Add a chamfer maybe 2mm to the inside and outside of the opening.
  • What are your thoughts on the hinge? A riveted pin maybe?
  • What material are you thinking of using?
  • What are you planing to do for the lock?
CollerRender
CollerRender
Sergio

Post by Sergio »

Rather than 3D print it, how about making the equivalent of a Cuff24 collar or stock but by lasercutting layers from 6/8/10mm acrylic and then bonding the layers together with acetone? The resulting edges can be sharp so hand finish them with wet and dry paper or acrylic polish on a Dremel tool for a better finish, and those that will touch the skin may need more radical treatment. Designing with acrylic you have to be careful to avoid creating stress points where it could be vulnerable to shear, no internal 90° corners for instance (not that any are needed here), but 3D printing with PLA or ABS is no different.

If you want to stick with 3D printing take a look at OpenSCAD. It builds the model from graphics primitives such as blocks, cylinders and spheres which combine and subtract to give the result. And it's a rudimentary programming language so you can have constants such as thickness, neck and wrist diameter that are easy to change - useful for quickly producing prototypes to check the fit.
mrbob13

Post by mrbob13 »

So i am trying to model this almost exactly from what i saw on cuff24.

The hinge will be hidden away inside the collar. the the final top and bottom piece will be "solid" and the hinge will be under it. (hope that makes sense) The small holes around the perimeter will be were the layers are screwed together.

The final plan is for this to be made out of aluminum. were i live right now has a lot of places that do fabrication work. A CNC machine is not in my budget right now. I love the clear acrylic idea, but again i would have to outsource and have it fabricated, that's mostly why i was jumping right into the metal.

Lock wise i am on the fence. i might just take the easy route and make a whole and a pin that slides through and you lock it on the pin (see attached picture).

You are right about the edges i am going to add a small chamfer to the top and bottom neck pieces as well as where they fit together.

Question about were the collar rotates. when i design that area, do i need to add a tiny bit of space in between the rotating pieces? I want everything to be snug with as little play as possible, but i am not sure about the assembly.

Please keep the ideas coming, they have been a great help.
Attachments
pin.PNG
pavtron

Post by pavtron »

pavtron

Post by pavtron »

How is your project coming along?
Shannon SteelSlave

Post by Shannon SteelSlave »

Well...........We're waiting.............
waiting.jpg
waiting.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 2923 times
Bondage is like a foreign film without subtitles. Only through sharing and practice can we hope to understand.
A Jedi uses bondage for knowledge and defense, never for attack.
I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T!....I, I mean S-M-A-R-T!
👠👠