Maximite instead of Arduino?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
KinkInSpace

Maximite instead of Arduino?

Post by KinkInSpace »

To start off, check this video (25 mins): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQA8lowEKOo

This is basically David Murray from The 8-Bit Guy, reviewing the Maximite color.

In short, the Maximite is a microcontroller similar to the Arduino running a version of Basic. The version he has there has a build-in VGA connector and keyboard input that allows you to basically use the Maximite as a stand-alone computer, programming your code, test it, and make adjustments as necessary without having to constantly upload it to your microcontroller.

There are various versions of the Maximite, which would allow you to use this bigger controller as a development station, then once done, copy it to the mini version and use it with your gear.

I was wondering if people here have experience with the Maximite as I'm thinking this may be what I need to get into all this. I am very familiar with basic, but I'm not sure what the Arduino uses. I do know that I would find it a pain to make changes to my code, upload it to the Arduino only to find out its not working for some reason. The Maximite, where you can literally use a command and control the microcontroller without even requiring to program something is very appealing to me. I can type in the commands one after another, see its effects in real time and if I find it appealing, program it in my script and test it there once more.

It seems to be compatible with Adruino tech, so its not like you have to use hardware specifically used for the Maximite.

I'd love to hear from you guys to see if anyone has experience with these.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Sir Cumference

Re: Maximite instead of Arduino?

Post by Sir Cumference »

It is more an alternative to the Raspberry pi IMHO.

If you want a computer running basic, this is a good possibility (it seems, based on one video)

The Arduino is a micro controller on a break-out board.
You code it to carry out specific tasks, and that is what it will do.
Arduino has a huge community, meaning that I’ve never met a problem I could not solve or get advice about.
The “Arduino IDE” is based on C++ that has been made more accessible (some say “dumbed down”, but it works for me).
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

The Maxibrute color is probably similar to the Raspberry pi, although I really have no experience with that other than it being used as a computer.

The Maxibrute also comes with the Mini Maxibrute, which is basically what the Arduino is too. Both are compatible which means, if you get both, you develop your entire project on the Maxibrute, and then once done upload it to the mini version. Its very small, but I'm completely new to this kind of stuff, so I'm not sure I really do want to start with this. But it has some great potential for sure.

That's basically why I started this topic. I am a good programmer, so I have little doubt that would be the problem. My biggest problem would be, what would I do with it, and how much money and time would I invest into this.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

To Sir Cumference's statements, I'll simply add this about the Arduino. In practice, one mostly codes and tests with an Arduino simply connected to the PC the whole time. Unless using a character display, you'll often use a serial output to a screen on the PC to gain insight into what's going on with your code. I doubt that this is much different in practice from a board to which you connect a screen and monitor... in one you compile and upload periodically, and in the other you compile periodically.

I am also a BASIC programmer from well back (early 1980's). Wiring -- the dumbed down C++ used in the Ardunio IDE -- was quite easy to pick up, for me. As SC noted, the huge community and wealth of information on the web is invaluable. The equally huge array of boards, add-ons, and libraries for the Ardunio platform are too. Personally, I would suggest getting one of the USB-equipped boards (Uno, for example), downloading the IDE, and playing around a bit. There's an onboard LED on Pin 13, you can make it do stuff without attaching a single wire. Even if you decide to develop on a different platform, the experience will be valuable IMO.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

With the arduino, you still have to write a script though, the Maximite can run commands directly from the prompt without uploading, changing the state of any pin, changing a value that is used in the programming, etc. much easier to debug I'd say.

When I program in PowerShell, I do exactly the same. I test portions of my code in the prompt, see its response and then copy it to my script. Likewise, when debugging, I execute small portions of my code to set a certain state, then run commands in the prompt to get exactly what is going wrong and fix it, rather than to be altering my script, upload, test, repeat, rince.

But I'm so new to this that I'm not even sure there's a project I really want to do, so before making any investment, arduino, raspberry pi or maximite, I'm just curious about what others think of the maximite.
ruru67

Post by ruru67 »

Slave_L wrote:With the arduino, you still have to write a script though, the Maximite can run commands directly from the prompt without uploading, changing the state of any pin, changing a value that is used in the programming, etc. much easier to debug I'd say.
Shrug. The Maximite looks a bit too much like the crappy 8 bit micros I learned to code on in the early 80s for my liking. They were fun at the time, but things have moved on a bit. You already have a computer, just treat the Arduino as a smart peripheral - program it with whatever debug code you want. You can talk to it via the console; there's nothing stopping you putting a little CLI into your Arduino sketch while you debug it. (Or even easier, simple one-key commands.)

It's also a bit pricey for a peripheral controller - at US$50 or so, you don't really want to leave it "in circuit". You can get Chinese Arduino Nano clones for less than US$2.00 which work fine, and at that price you can buy two dozen of the things for the price of one Maximite, have some left over for some breadboards and other bits, and it won't matter if you fry a few.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Thanks for the feedback ruru. That was very helpful. :)