MODERATOR WARNING: ELECTROSTIMULATION DEVICES

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Lazy

Post by Lazy »

I'm an electrician. And I made an electric device for one girl about one year ago. She's still alive! That device gives 0-30 Volts AC (dangerous level is 42V AC or 110V DC). And a current kills only when it runs through the heart or other important organs (0,1 mA is a death level). When the distance between electrodes is small the current influences only on this part of body. Never play with current when your body is wet. It's possible to make cheap and safe device following these recommendations.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

IF you are an electrician it might be somewhere near safe to build stuff like that yourself, but as an amateur it`s just a little safer than bungee jumping with a chain instead of a rubber band.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
grundoontoo

Post by grundoontoo »

I had the pleasure of designing some of the first TENs units produced in this country, a job that came to me because earlier units were basically copies of the McGill prototypes, were quite large, and had minimal battery life. These are fairly simple circuits but not at all within the purview of an electrician's training. They have no DC component in the output.

Although they are certainly designed to be safe above the waist, I never use them there. I recommend that you don't either unless you're sure of what you're doing - and, if you were, you wouldn't be reading this for advice. TENs/EMs anufacturers generally recommend that you not put electrodes:

Near the eyes
In the mouth
On each temple
On the front of the neck
On areas of numb skin/decreased sensation
On broken skin areas or wounds
On or near the trigeminal nerve

But why would you? They're really no fun and a couple of these no-no's CAN kill you.

On the genitals, anus, and perineum, which is where I use TENs units, the only real risk is skin irritation or, maybe, small burns - the latter only if the electrodes are too small or, perhaps, too dry.

Some people also like to stimulate the rectum and vagina. I'm not terribly comfortable with this (nostly, because these applications have not been tested) although, with bipolar electrodes, it should be safe. If you don't know what I'm talking about, and are not absolutely certain of the current paths involved in whatever you're doing, don't do it.

Unless you are an experienced electronics engineer (or the equivalent), with a good knowledge of physiology - there are such people, I'd strongly recommend sticking to a TENs unit from a legitimate manufacturer. Keep the electodes below the waist and you'll be at no more risk than from any other SM toy. If you're using more than one channel (most units have two) make sure they're isolated from each other. And, if you should come across an A.C. powered unit (I've never seen one), don't even think of using it.

While I'm here let me also recommend sticking to battery powered toys in general. I do use a violet wand from time to time but only in a well insulated environment (an upstairs bedroom with nothing around that is grounded), and only with an isolation transformer. If you insist on A.C. powered toys, make sure you plug them into a GFI protected circuit. A bit over-cautious perhaps, but that's me.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

Personally I have said enough already but just wanted to say this is not an area I would recommend anyone start experimenting in.

I'm also pretty confident that somewhere sometime on this planet, may be not in my lifetime but definately at least one electrician died right after saying "Trust me, I'm an electrician, I know what I'm doing....".
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I graduated from a 2-year electronics engineering technology class (this is somewhere between a technician and an engineer).
Although I could (back then...) calculate the EMF produced around wires in a coil given the kind of wire, it's diameter and current flow...

I still wouldn't want to risk designing a device that could potentially kill me!
The only electrical/electronic devices I would build would be to control my scenario or to make certain mechanical things more automated or controlled by a computer. But NOT connected directly on my body :shock:

Play smart :wink:

Dying in your scenario kind of ruins your next ones....... :?
bound_jenny

Heart-stopper

Post by bound_jenny »

From what I have heard, it only takes 7 milliamps directly across the heart to stop it. It may take more current because there is more than just the heart in the circuit (unless you're dumb enough to stick electrodes into your chest!) and the rest of the body's mass is a resistance in parallel.

But think of it - only 7 milliamps! Even less than that can mess with the heart's function. If the heart is located physically between or close to between the two points of contact, it's trouble.

And to have amps, you need volts. Amps = volts divided by resistance. If you want the water to run, you need pressure.

Fortunately, the skin itself - unless wet - has a pretty high resistance (in the thousands to hundreds of thousands of ohms) which affords a certain amount of protection. Sweat and other bodily fluids reduce this resistance and increase the risk, in addition to water.

That's why you should never use electrical appliances near a bathtub with you in it.

Scary. :shock:

Jenny
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
mfx

Post by mfx »

There's a saying here in the UK "Volts Jolts, Mills Kills" (mills meaning (Milliamps). I'm personally a fan of electrostim using properly designed devices (I'm an electronics designer but I'd never try and make my own, commercial units aren't that expensive anyway) and it scares me some of the hairbrained schemes people come up with on the web :!: Particularly bad is any suggestion of using an audio amplifier, there is very little seperating you from mains in an audio amp (how many people have had speaker cones blow on them due to an amp fault?) also a lesser known problem is that Audio amps under certain circumstances/fault conditions can generate high levels of radio frequency energy and you REALLY DON'T want an RF burn to your sensitive areas, the RF can generate a high temperature plasma similar to a welder :!: This applies to battery amps as well as mains ones.
curious_sb
Retired Moderator

Post by curious_sb »

oh imagine that, having your cock welded to your stomach....while in bondage too so you cant do shit about it.....*winces* :o :cry:
Curious_SB
Retired Forum Moderator
ponylady

Post by ponylady »

mfx wrote:......also a lesser known problem is that Audio amps under certain circumstances/fault conditions can generate high levels of radio frequency energy and you REALLY DON'T want an RF burn to your sensitive areas, the RF can generate a high temperature plasma similar to a welder :!: This applies to battery amps as well as mains ones.
especially since RF-burns don't hurt at 1st. you notice the smell & eventually
smoke 1st, before the pain is transmitted by the nerves. so this can really turn nasty.
Grinser

Post by Grinser »

I just came across this, it´s part of the guidelines for riggers on kink.com:

Electricity used in an unsafe manner:
Electricity should not be used above the waist except as follows:
Nipple Clamps where the nipple completes the circuit (electricity passes on through the nipple, not from breast to breast or breast to other area of the body)
Muscle stimulators attached to the lower abdominal area
Mains powered appliances, such as the Hitachi Magic Wand, may not be used in any scene that also includes water
TENS units used in WirePussy.com are low-voltage stimulators. Safe play requires low-voltage stimulation.
There is a beast inside man that should be exercised, not exorcised.
allchainedup

Post by allchainedup »

I've just recently purchased an estim unit after researching this type of play for a very long time. Warnings abound on all of these manufacturers' websites and in their documentation and literature. So there's no excuse for someone playing stupid with these things. However, having said that, there are still going to be individuals who, caught up in the euphoria of their fantasy are still going to risk everything for a "thrill" by pushing the envelope. Just because someone writes a fictious story, or you see a scene in a DVD, that doesn't make it real ("If I jump off the roof with a cape I will fly like Superman..."). These are the same type of folks who consistently disregard the mandatory backup release, or who feel that their partner really was just wimping out when they used the safe word and could probably take "just a little more". Maybe they get away with it once, maybe twice. But, like smoking cigarettes, it'll eventually get you in the end (literally...THE END!).
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Allchainedup is right on target. People do stupid things despite warnings against such practices because they think they're indestructible (pssst! Captain Scarlet was a puppet!).

They think that since they got away with it once, it will never kill them. NOT! It hasn't killed them yet. Russian roulette - six chambers, one bullet. Pull the trigger often enough and eventually you'll have an extra hole in your head. Two if the gun is of a decent caliber. And one heck of a nasty headache.

Grinser's citation of kink.com's guidelines are clear and reasonable, and it's what the "pros" use. Hey, if it's good enough for a pro, it should be good enough for us common folk, no?

As a moderator, I try to convey such warnings nicely, but for some reason, there are some who don't take me seriously, or try to persuade me to back off. Why? Am I not nasty enough? Do I interweave too many puns and jokes into my posts? Am I too polite? Maybe.

But I am definitely stubborn, and I stick to my principles come hell or high water. Direct or indirect name calling will not make me back down. One can call me a nanny-state wannabe, a safety nazi, or anything else derisive or insulting, I will not shrink back in terror. I will not refrain from my responsibilities just because someone stoops down to insults and ad hominem. In fact, that will only cause me to perform my duties with even greater vigor.

I'm one heck of an ornery critter, and proud of it. :D

Oh, lastly, I don't like to see people die for no good reason other than old age. I believe that's called caring. If someone thinks that's bad, then there definitely is something wrong with this world.

Jenny.
Forum Moderator.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Aurora Borealis

Post by Aurora Borealis »

While the idea of playing with electricity is certainly intriguing, there's no way I'd do anything risky. I have the utmost respect for electricity, being zapped with AC twice in my life.

First, as a little kid, I found a plug that had the cord separated and wires sticking out and I inserted that into the power socked. I don't remember the shock itself, but I do recall sitting a good meter away from it, crying in pain.

Second time it was in school and we were working on some machines (forgot what it was), and apparently some retard messed around with one of them so when I brushed my hand against it, I got hit with 350V (as opposed to 220 used in regular houses). My arm went almost numb for the next few minutes.

I have also seen a retard sticking a wire, both ends into one power socket. He was safe enough to wrap it around a wooden stick, so he didn't get hurt himself. But the flash partially melted the power socket, melted HALF of the wire, singed the stick and blew fuses in half of the school!

Electricity's unpredictable. One guy gets hit by a lightning and lives, the next one dies from a shorted toaster. So keep it safe, like the smart people posting before me tell you to :D
onestrangeguy

Post by onestrangeguy »

I'd comment, but I don't want my post "Strictly Removed" regular removal might be OK though.

In any case, I agree. Electricity is not a good thing to play with, and am not sure why anyone would want to.
bdsmfreak

Tens unit

Post by bdsmfreak »

I use a tens unit for e-stim. I have used it for 1/2- 45 min constant at most. ALL BELOW THE BELT!! The power source is 9volt. i have used it on high for 15min and 3/4 the way for the remainder. Ive never had any issues.