What sewing machine for kinky stictching?

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Gregovic

Re: What sewing machine for kinky stictching?

Post by Gregovic »

smelt wrote:Yes, the more research I do, the more I think this is going to work very well. We looked at some different needles last night, next thing is to see what kind of foot plates are available. My mother thinks there are a lot, she said it looks like a standard piece. I will get some pictures of it soon. If it was green, it would look like a military sewing machine, pretty solid unit.

I plan to give it a thorough oiling when I get it here, as quiet as it is now, I can't wait to see what happens then.
You could search around the internet if the instruction manual is available on the internet. A quick google only came up with this site that contains the threading diagram portion for free. They can print and post the entire manual for a fee it seems. Sewing machines often have hard to see oiling spots. Mine actually has a spot that can only be reached by putting a drop of oil in an unassuming hole on the top of the lower arm, which you would never know if you didn't have a manual. But since it's the main bearing for the drive to the lower feed dogs and bobbin it's rather important that it's oiled well. Or see if your mother kept the manual :wink:
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
smelt

Post by smelt »

Hello all, it's been awhile since I have really been online. So I got the Morse machine home a while back, haven't learned a whole lot about it yet. But... what I did find..... was a local salvage store with a bunch of INDUSTRIAL SEWING MACHINES! There were 9 of them, $100 each. I bought a Juki DDL-555ON. If I had a place to keep them, I would have bought a couple more. They also had a few other Juki's, 2 Sergers, embroidery machines, a couple of Brother machines, one was a really fancy one, with a computer screen, and a lot of bells and whistles. But, in my world, "Bells crack, and Whistles stop working". So I went with the basic Juki. This is very close to the machine that my full-body corset was made on (which just got finished, by the way). Sits on the original bench, all steel frame, huge motor, 110 volt too, so i don't need any adapters, and it can go in the workshop, or in the house. If we use the tractor to move it.... kind of heavy...

We downloaded a manual, the plan is to get it spotless, oiled, buy some needles, and different feet for it. Then it's time to start sewing. The Corsetiere gave us the leftover leather, so I have some material to play with. She was going to give me some quick lessons, but we ran out of time, and had things to do that were more interesting than sewing lessons.... Next time.

As soon as I get it here, and set up, I will get some pictures of it. I guess I am really glad I waited to buy one, I almost paid $750 for one that was lighter duty a while back...
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Congrats on the heavy duty sewing machine. Now why can't I ever walk into a deal like that? :? I look forward to seeing your projects!
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Congratulations, and that sounds like a very nice, sturdy machine. 8)

Reading up on it, I see it uses commonly available needles, And it looks like the mechanism is a good one, with its own lubrication system and a decent feed mechanism. Those things were designed to maximize productivity (no factory wants machinery that breaks down a lot).

You won't regret that one!

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
Keyless

Post by Keyless »

Gregovic wrote: I look forward to seeing your projects!
Me too! I hope the machine works well for you.
smelt

Post by smelt »

Well, we went and picked it up yesterday. Stopped by my parent's place with it, and my mother had to try it. (She worked at a children's clothing mill years ago, and used similar machines) So it is in their garage right now, should be here a little later. I talked to her last night, and it is all up and running, just needed some tension adjustments. For the "now I'm kicking myself" moment, ONE PERSON bought all the other machines, and I was told to look for them on Craigslist at $750 each... I should have bought all of them for that reason, and kept one of the sergers for myself, but this is a good start. I will do a little write up on the new corset soon, it was QUITE the experience.... I am still recovering from it....

But, for now, this is my "to-do" list of projects, in order.

Get my shop's upstairs ready to go, and get the machine up there. luckily, I left a big doorway, so the tractor's forks can go right in.
Learn how to use the machine..
Mess around with a big roll of vinyl I have, maybe make a hood from it, once i get a couple duct tape patterns of my head made, hopefully the patterns happen tonight..
Make a darlex hood.
Then a pair of darlex shorts or pants.
Leather posture collar, similar to the one that came with the corset, but more boning, and maybe some over-the-head straps.
Next is a leather hood, like the one that was made with my corset, but "meaner"...
Fix all of our "broken" toys that need sewing
Then comes the custom-fit faux leather sleepsack, made from a duct tape pattern of me
And my biggest goal is to make a hooded leather sleepsack, with locking leather straps all over it, and zippers everywhere they need to be.

It sounds a bit hopeful, but I think this is going to work. I will have some pictures of it later today, and also a couple other projects we have worked on, and oh, I don't know, maybe a few shots of the corset, with all the accessories....
smelt

Post by smelt »

Aaaaannnnnd it works! I got to play around with it a bit, had my first ridiculous problem with the thread pulling out of the needle, I had the needle turned around, so the little indent was facing the wrong way. I say that is too small of a detail to make a difference, but my mother, and the machine said otherwise. But, its fixed now, and sews quite well. As a test, once we had the tension all set on 2 or 3 layers, we tried folding the cloth a couple times for 8 layers of denim. Perfect. Looks like sewing thru 2 layers. (evil, sinister grins happening now, lightning and thunder..all that).... It will be home in a few hours, and set up. Then we see how it does on leather scraps, darlex, PVC.... I think there is a new monster in town.... A giant smelt will be terrorizing the masses with scary sewing projects... hahaha
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

smelt wrote:A giant smelt will be terrorizing the masses
Which inspires a cheesy title for a B-scifi-horror flick: Attack Of The 50-ft Smelt! Take that, Pacific Rim!* :rofl:
smelt wrote:but my mother, and the machine said otherwise
Always listen to your mother, especially about sewing machines. But keep your hands off her scissors (those big heavy metal units with the black metal handles - one side with that horn - and which make a horrendous racket when you put them down, no matter how gently and stealthily you try). If she allows you to use them, keep them away from paper or the sharp look you'll get from her will make those scissors look dull. :mrgreen:

I can almost feel your trepidation from here. May your new machine bring you lots of pervy creations and many, many hours of pleasure, both in creating and enjoying those creations. 8)

*note: I saw the original Pacific RIm. Now that was cheesy! :rofl:

Jenny.
smelt

Post by smelt »

Jenny, thanks for the warm wishes, and the mental images of an oversized smelt knocking down powerlines, while dressed in a darlex suit.... anyway... Tonight, I begin my collection of sewing gadgets and doo-dads. I made a promise not to "borrow" my Wife's goodies, I have a strange tendency to "misplace" most everything I touch... I played with some more thick denim, and I am now a self-declared sewing expert. I can sew in an almost straight line, and can sew curves with the best of them. Maybe that is not quite true. But, I think it will come to me somewhat quickly, or at least I hope so.
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

smelt wrote:I can sew in an almost straight line, and can sew curves with the best of them. Maybe that is not quite true. But, I think it will come to me somewhat quickly, or at least I hope so.
Practice builds skill, and skill builds confidence, and confidence is believing in one's abilities. Believe me, my first sewing creations weren't the greatest. Not even middling. But my Mom kept at me, helping me along. The best help was just watching her do it.

I never figured that one day I'd be sewing my own corsets. 8)

Now, you giant smelt, have at it against Godzilla. And don't knock over too many power lines. :P :P :P

Jenny.
smelt

Post by smelt »

bound_jenny wrote:
smelt wrote:I can sew in an almost straight line, and can sew curves with the best of them. Maybe that is not quite true. But, I think it will come to me somewhat quickly, or at least I hope so.
Practice builds skill, and skill builds confidence, and confidence is believing in one's abilities. Believe me, my first sewing creations weren't the greatest. Not even middling. But my Mom kept at me, helping me along. The best help was just watching her do it.

I never figured that one day I'd be sewing my own corsets. 8)

Now, you giant smelt, have at it against Godzilla. And don't knock over too many power lines. :P :P :P

Jenny.
In re-thinking my life as a mutant monster.... it seems the giant smelt should REPAIR power lines. They get blown down more than they are up during the winter. 50mph winds last night. Again. So now the image is a 50 foot smelt, wearing a hard hat, and safety goggles. Yellow strobe lights.. He carries a pair of linesman's pliers, and can eat a large breakfast....

But, back to the machine. I have drawn up my first pattern. A really basic hood. I have a big roll of faux leather, it's dark brown (wish it was black), has some 4 way stretch, and is really soft to the touch. I am going to try it with laces first, but my eventual plan is to redesign it with a zipper, then a cover that locks over the zip. The camera will be ready to go when I get doing this.