I need to make a copy of my head.

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
smelt

I need to make a copy of my head.

Post by smelt »

Im thinking this may work, but I would appreciate any input. My goal is to build a copy of my entire head/ shoulders, for use in building "toys". I think I have settled on the duct tape/ plastic wrap outer shell idea. If we carefully cut it off straight up the back, I would think it could be taped together again. A light coat of epoxy over the tape shell for rigidity. This is where I'm running into a wall, how to make it rigid and strong, without collapsing it. I have GALLONS and GALLONS of 2 part elastomeric epoxy that was out of date, and thrown away at work. I knew that it could be used for something other than potholes... So my plan is to fill the duct tape mask with the mixture, and let it harden. Ill spray the inside with silicone lube first. Im hoping that with some sanding, I can have a pretty good replica for forming head cages, hoods, etc. Concrete/ mortar was my first thought, but I need to be able to form sheet metal over it, so I'm thinking the epoxy would be perfect. Any suggestions before I begin? If this works, I'm seriously considering a full body mummification sculpture, only I dont think I have that much epoxy.
Audrey_CD

Re: I need to make a copy of my head.

Post by Audrey_CD »

I seem to remember epoxy is exothermic. In large quantities it will get very hot and could catch fire.

You could layer it with fiberglass, but that wouldn't give you the anvil qualities you are looking for.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Audrey_CD wrote:I seem to remember epoxy is exothermic. In large quantities it will get very hot and could catch fire.

You could layer it with fiberglass, but that wouldn't give you the anvil qualities you are looking for.
They are exothermic, or better said, the hardening process is an exothermic reaction. Layerwise application should be the way to prevent severe accidents here.

How about a thin layer of epoxy followed by a thin layer of mortar followed by reinforced concrete (from outside to inside).
Depending on the metal you want to use and the thickness of it this might do?
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

It depens on the epoxy type and hardening speed just how hot it gets, but generally it's not advisible to cast solid objects out of epoxy not intended for casting. The product data sheet probably gives a maximum layer thickness. You could probably also just use chopped strand glass fiber matts and build up a layer.

If it's out of date epoxy, start out by making a test batch to be 100% sure it hardens and sets correctly. The lifetime is set because the hardener and resin undergo slow chemical changes that mean they don't react correctly anymore. This could mean you're left with a goopy sticky mess when you go to extract your cast from the mould. Been there done that, ruined a perfectly good t-shirt.
Last edited by Gregovic on 20 Nov 2017, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
smelt

Post by smelt »

I have been accused of having an anvil for a head before. So "Project Anvil-Head" it is. Thanks, Audrey_CD!!!

My first new thought on this whole thing. I'm not making a movie prop. Again, thanks to Audrey_CD, for the "It's an anvil" revelation.. All I need this to do, is give me the size of my head, with the nose, chin and cheekbone bumpouts, and indentations for the eyes, plus be able to be hammered on. The first couple cages will be regular old sheet steel, and aluminum. I waste more aluminum making prototypes... but its WAY cheaper than stainless..

In the past, we had filled 5 gallon pails with the mixed epoxy to test the fire issue, and it got hot, but not hot enough to catch fire. It was intended to be mixed with bagged aggregate, which looked like brown fish tank rocks. Without the stone, it can be painted on reasonably easy. I can probably make the mold fairly thin, I'm thinking, nice fitting vinyl hood, greased upon the outside, filled with sand, then cover/ reinforce it, with a plaster, concrete, or something similar, dump out the sand, and carefully pull the hood out.. The missing thickness in the final product shouldn't matter, as it is for forming 3/32 stainless in the end. It won't/ shouldn't be THAT tight.

I can most likely add some sort of filler material to the epoxy inside, fiberglass strand, perlite may be perfect, but I have 25 or so gallons, plenty for this, and a lot of other projects... And I have done a couple tests on it in the last month or so, it still hardens, not in 20 minutes, but still under 40. Once the weather cools down a bit, Ill do a couple more tests with the epoxy, and my vinyl mold idea..
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer »

They have plaster type products that they use to make moulds for casting. I think I saw on Mythbusters they were making a mould for one of the guys heads. grease up your face and put it into the plaster for a moment then wash the plaster off your face. Do the same for the back of your head, put the two halves together and you have a mould. Fill the mould with concrete or epoxy or molten aluminium or what have you.
"Everything is relative to the observer"
"You don't get to be old by being a fool"
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

Old Timer wrote:They have plaster type products that they use to make moulds for casting. I think I saw on Mythbusters they were making a mould for one of the guys heads. grease up your face and put it into the plaster for a moment then wash the plaster off your face. Do the same for the back of your head, put the two halves together and you have a mould. Fill the mould with concrete or epoxy or molten aluminium or what have you.
Be VERY VERY careful when doing head casts. It's really easy to block an air way. If you want more specific info on how to make a detailed cast of a head, search for "life casting head" and you'll find plenty of videos of special effects guys making head moulds for custom made costume pieces. (for instance this one. It's a laborious process though and not something you can do on your own.
smelt

Post by smelt »

Yeah, I'm not doing the vaseline and plaster thing. While I think we would be 100% safe doing it, I think the PVC hood as a mold would be a better way for me to go. I usually work on the majority of my projects while my Wife is at work. So that kind of leaves out the helper part, at least for the few hours it would take to do the "lifecasting" process. If this works out, I may end up trying a bigger project. I've been looking at the permanent bondage body cages for a LONG time. But they want $25k for one in stainless. Huh. I pretty much know I can build one for less then $1000. It isn't much more than a detailed plan, an anvil, a few thousand feet of 1/8 stainless rod, some big rolls of stainless wire and a few tanks of tri-mix. Oh, and a couple hours of time, plus or minus... haha. What I really need, is a helper, and some of that ballistic jelly, so i can just make a life-sized me, that I can try all this out on. I looked thru my hoods yesterday afternoon, don't have any that I'm really willing to throw away for a mold. So, I have my Wife helping me with my duct tape pattern tomorrow, then Ill attempt my first sewing project.. The duct tape one might do it, by itself. We'll see when its cut off.... She is all for my projects, just that she only gets 2 days a week off, and doesn't want to spend it all on my silly experiments... I'll keep you posted.
beldritch

Post by beldritch »

Does it have to be a perfect fit? I'm not sure what kind of thing you're going for, but it seems likely that just a set of measurements would be enough to make a close fitting cage of some-sort.

If you want complete, tight encasement, just go for a rough-fit using measurements and then line the item with memory foam. I'm sure you'll be able to pick up a memory foam mattress cheap enough.
occorics

Post by occorics »

Many years ago, when i was low on budget, i made my own version of a sensory-deprivation hood by wrapping a balaclava in packaging tape. I carefully cut it open in the back with safety scissors (loosing a bit of hair :wink: )
It was rigid enough to keep the form and with a bit more wrapping afterwards, i think it would have been stable enough to be used as a mold. For sizing, this should be enough.
I also remember a mythbusters episode where they created a copy of a head... they used alginate if i remember correctly...: https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/myth ... ring-heads
maid marta, Collared property of Domina Shelle Rivers and Lady Helena

https://twitter.com/ShellesPuppy
my blog: https://owned-by-princess-shelle.blogspot.com
my art: https://maid-marta.bdsmlr.com
smelt

Post by smelt »

Funny, to get another reply to this just when I was thinking about it again. Once our corset project is completed, this is next. A locking head cage would be a very interesting addition to the discipline corset and hood. The epoxy is just sitting there, waiting for me to use it for something. I have also thought about making a rigid fiddle out of the same material.

The idea is still the duct tape pattern, cut off carefully, then put back together. Fill with sand, then put it into a 5 gallon pail. Surround the mold with concrete or just straight mortar. Once that is dry, vacuum out the sand, and cut the mold in half with a cut-off saw. Remove the tape. That should give me the negative mold, which can be touched up and smoothed out with automotive body filler, or something similar, adding back the 1/4 inch between the halves removed by kerf of the blade. Once it is smoothed out, grease the inside, use a couple ratchet straps to secure the two halves together, and pour in the epoxy. Simple! Well, not really. But do-able, I think.

If this works like I hope, there will be a big project coming up....
Gregovic

Post by Gregovic »

smelt wrote:Funny, to get another reply to this just when I was thinking about it again. Once our corset project is completed, this is next. A locking head cage would be a very interesting addition to the discipline corset and hood. The epoxy is just sitting there, waiting for me to use it for something. I have also thought about making a rigid fiddle out of the same material.

The idea is still the duct tape pattern, cut off carefully, then put back together. Fill with sand, then put it into a 5 gallon pail. Surround the mold with concrete or just straight mortar. Once that is dry, vacuum out the sand, and cut the mold in half with a cut-off saw. Remove the tape. That should give me the negative mold, which can be touched up and smoothed out with automotive body filler, or something similar, adding back the 1/4 inch between the halves removed by kerf of the blade. Once it is smoothed out, grease the inside, use a couple ratchet straps to secure the two halves together, and pour in the epoxy. Simple! Well, not really. But do-able, I think.

If this works like I hope, there will be a big project coming up....
Personally I'd use simple plaster to create the negative, peel out tape (smear it with vaseline or something beforehand to aid release). Carefully saw that open then put it back in the bucket and put the tape form back in. Then cast a positive in plaster in the tape form, now supported by the plaster in the bucket. This positive for will be much easier to work on. Buy some moulding silicon to cast another negative. The final positive can then be cast from this.

Working inside a negative and getting everything smooth is a really big challenge. Casting an intermediate positive seems to be the "normal" way of doing it
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

You should watch some videos.

A search for "lifecasting head" will give lots.

Here's one with a pretty lass:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBXDGfGhX7U

What I am trying to say is:"do not re-invent the wheel".
It has been done lots of times already and the best procedure is well established and thoroughly tested.

Yes, the materials will cost a bit of money, but it is not worth the risk to use any hazardous materials near eyes, mouth or sensitive skin.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
Audrey_CD

Post by Audrey_CD »

Stretched out

Post by Stretched out »

Audrey_CD wrote:How not to do it....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-42271150
Theres a future Darwin Award recipient.