Help with DIY sex machine

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
jack_sub

Help with DIY sex machine

Post by jack_sub »

Hello everyone,

I have been looking into making a DIY sex machine as it should be fun to build and perhaps fun to use (if done properly).

I've looked at some websites that offer advice on building these machines:
https://www.machineyourself.com/motors
http://www.orgasmalley.com/diyparts.htm

However I am pretty lost on what motor to get - which specs, best type, good brands?, torque, etc.
Please could anyone who knows about this or who has done a project like this please advise me on motors, and/or any other advise.

FYI - I'd like to use it for anal, and perhaps deepthroating (I am aware of the dangers of both so we can skip past that topic).

And thanks in advance for any comments and advice!
OrgasmAlley

Re: Help with DIY sex machine

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Orgasmalley.com is my site, and I'm happy to give you some advice.

The fact that you're looking for anal play is useful. To really hone it, you also need to understand your intended dildo size, maximum stroke length, and the top speed you're after. Increasing any of these three increases the required motor power.

Torque is a factor along the way. It's basically pushing power at the nameplate speed. As you decrease the operating speed, the motor's torque falls proportionally. So consider this:

A 250 RPM motor rated 50 in-lbs torque: running at 25 RPM, it delivers 5 in-lbs torque.
A 100 RPM motor rated 50 in-lbs torque: running at 25 RPM, it delivers 12.5 in-lbs torque.

I would suggest about 40 in-lbs at 200 RPM as a minimum for anal play with dildos bigger than "average."

At the high end of anal play, use the Kong motor as a benchmark (http://www.orgasmalley.com/kong.htm). It is a 1/4 HP US-made motor rated 70 in-lbs at 165 RPM nameplate speed, and has a 12" maximum stroke. It performs like this (customer video, shared with permission... graphic, obviously):

http://www.xtube.com/video-watch/MR-HAN ... E-30189691

That's a Boss Hogg dildo from MrHankey, which is basically gigantic. You can see at various points the high resistance stopping the machine (which is fine, for brief periods)... if you wanted a machine that would not stop like this at this speed/stroke, you would either need to sacrifice top speed or use higher horsepower. HP adds substantial weight and cost as you go up the scale.

Hope that helps. If you'd like to provide more specifics about your intent, I am happy to be more specific in response. I also stock a wide array of new and surplus/used motors not listed on my parts page.
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Oh wow, well it would seem you are the perfect person to be talking to about this. Thank you very much for responding. And apologize for the late response.

I'll try and hone in on the use case now - I will be looking to use the machine with dildos roughly 2 inches in diameter, and I'd like a stroke length of around 8 inches or so.

What motor specs do you feel would be good based on those pieces of information?

So are there any brands that you would recommend most? I have been looking round for recommendations and I have come up with these motor brands:
Baldor
NEMA
Leeson
Bodine

Are there any other brands that I should consider? I figure the more options I have the better chance I will get better price.

Thank you for any help you can provide, I am based in the UK so I would purchase from your site, however I can imagine the shipping costs would be expensive - I hope you understand.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

I would look for at least 40 in-lbs for the anal play you've specified, assume a nameplate peed not over roughly 200 RPM. For brands, the top of the line are Bodine, Bison, Baldor, and Leeson in no particular order. NEMA is a standards organization, who has a specification for stepper motors. Based on your description, you're looking for a PMDC motor and not a stepper. You might look for a British brand that starts with a P, but I can't come up with it, or Groschopp out of Germany... they might be more available near you.
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Fantastic, I will do a bit of searching around and if it's okay I'll post some more questions if I have any now and then.

Thank you for your assistance, its been very useful!
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Okay, so I've been looking around for hours today for a motor that has specs that are anywhere near the ballpark of what has been suggested. And between all of the 1400-2800rpm motors and the 10-120rpm motors I came across this:

So I'm very tempted to get this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/-itm/24-VOLT-MOTO ... SwuxFYvSxJ

I was wondering what you think based on the nameplate specs. Ideally the RPM (260) would be a touch lower, but it has a a decent 0.55 HP to go with it (based on the other nameplate specs and a few power calculators - I used a few to make sure). Hopefully that means it will have enough torque in the lower RPMs to be effective.

Please let me know what you think of it, and of course be honest if you think it is not up to scratch.

And sorry OrgasmAlley if I'm becoming a burden on your visits to this site over the last few days. And again, thanks in advance.
Last edited by jack_sub on 16 Apr 2017, 19:01, edited 3 times in total.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

That motor should be plenty of power, although the torque is not listed. I use a 250W Chinese motor that rates 250 RPM and 50 in-lbs at 90 VDC, so I would guess this one to provide in the neighborhood of 70 in-lbs generally. Note that the FF (form factor) is 1, which means it cannot handle sustained voltage exceeding 24 VDC... your power supply/control should not provide in excess of this voltage. Also, 380W at 24 VDC is 17A... make sure you can come up with a suitable power supply before you pull the trigger.
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Ok fantastic, well luckily I have found a power supply unit that perfectly suits those specs:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-10A-30A-12 ... lNweY1jiPA

Just out of curiosity should I be getting the 15amp or 17amp PSU? - As 380/24 = 15.8amps

Is there a risk of providing 1.2amps too much that would damage the motor?
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

Your motor will only draw what it needs from the power supply. Any excess capacity will not be "forced" into the motor. It's always better to have more capacity than the load requires.

Real-life example: house current. It can supply up to 15 amps before the circuit breaker trips, but you can run a light bulb that draws less than an amp. You still will have 14 amps of reserve for your vacuum cleaner.

(It's amazing what one can learn with the right person, a bit of... persuasion... and plenty of charm. 8) ).

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Thank you for the info Jenny, your advice is read loud and clear - I'll go for a 24volt 20amp power supply then.

The auction ended a few minutes ago and thankfully I've got the motor!

So now all I need is a power supply, speed controller and the hardware to put it all together.

If anyone wants to throw any more advice out I would be very grateful.

And thanks especially to OrgasmAlley - I would have been completely lost, and "powerless" without all that advice!
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Glad I could help... enjoy your build!
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

OrgasmAlley wrote: ....the Kong motor as a benchmark ........ (customer video, shared with permission... graphic, obviously)...... a Boss Hogg dildo from MrHankey, which is basically gigantic......

:shock:
[blair witch project voice]
I am scared!
[/blair witch project voice]

And I am also quite impressed by the flexibility of the human body.
:mrgreen:
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
sky190176

Post by sky190176 »

Im also looking to do this, although pleanty morot specs going around but some pictures or model numbers would be goos

the ebay link above for the motor no longer works,

I was thiking about this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Gear ... 4-lVbMLQlw

hows your build going ?
smelt

Post by smelt »

I like old cars.... so.... Hook that bad boy up to a 427 chevy, direct drive. Add a roots-style blower, for looks, and sound... Put a bolt thru one spot in the flywheel and..... No, that would probably kill you. I just had to post that.
jack_sub

Post by jack_sub »

Hello everyone,

I had the machine built and it works well. I would certainly not go for a motor with less than 0.5hp since you would likely lose the low speed torque which is good to start with and fun play around with.

I do need to work on acoustics a little. I would recommend going for solid stainless steel rods to lower the high frequency noise when running in linear bearings which gets produced from the hollow steel rods I'm using.

I have to say that a machine is loads of fun, and quite challenging in most aspects. If you have a good £150 to give this a real go I would totally recommend it.

Sorry I haven't followed any sooner, I will try and stay in touch to help out others to make their machines.