No Lock, Aluminum Timed Release Box

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
mrbob13

No Lock, Aluminum Timed Release Box

Post by mrbob13 »

So i have a fantastic idea for the ultimate Lock Box. I have not had a chance to test this yet, but should work in THEORY.

Concept: aluminum exposed to gallium causes the aluminum to fail. Once the process is started, there is no way to reverse it. a relatively small amount will cause structural weakness in the aluminum over a few days.

Pros:
- as close to foolproof as you can get, no electronics to fail
- dirt cheap ($30 for the entire set up)

Cons:
- can be messy, reaction turns aluminum soupy
- duration, it looks like this is a multi day wait.
- the aluminum container is destroyed in the process

prices are approximate.
step 1 ($15 Box): Get an aluminum box
step 2 ($5 epoxy): put release in box and seal the box with epoxy.
step 3 ($10 gallium): scour the aluminum and apply liquid gallium and wait. must come in contact with the aluminum it there is paint covering the box.
step 4: in a few days you can rip the box apart with your bare hands.

reaction of aluminum and gallium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXs_pbZyaFg
Eventual i would like to test the tensile and shear strength of a aluminum rod for other scenarios.

Please, i would love to hear any thoughts you might have.
MKu

Re: No Lock, Aluminum Timed Release Box

Post by MKu »

$30 for a messy, once in a lifetime lockbox? Really?!

For only $30 more you can buy a kSafe (formerly Kitchen Safe), which is reuseable, made of BPA-free food grade plastics and has a lock time from 1 minute up to 10 days.

And in case of electronic failure, you just smash it.
Indeed over time people got knowledge but no wisdom.

Accidents do not happen, they are caused.
KinkInSpace

Post by KinkInSpace »

Back on-topic: Its an interesting idea, but how safe is the content inside it? I would not want to lock my keys to my chastity device in there, only to find out that they melt alongside the safe itself.
Formally known as Slave_L.
I'm not yet very comfortable expressing my love for kink from my private life. I will therefor hide behind my username KinkInSpace and not allow any connections to who I really am. I'm sure you'll understand.
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

A good idea, but in my opinion too complicated, too messy, too many variables with regards to the exact effect/timing and too expensive.
And I certainly don't want to risk getting gallium on any of my other aluminum gizmos.
It also attacks other metals.

There are three all-important factors in the choice of a release mechanism:
- reliability
- reliability
- reliability

The ice lock is a prime example: If the room is above freezing, the ice will melt.
The precision may not be impressive, but it is inadvertent that it will happen.

I like the lead-delay for the same reason. It uses a well described materials property. A roll of solder is very homogenous and you can test it in the exact way you are going to use it.

Mechanical and electronic timers are technically very complex, but they are produced in large numbers, and have proven themselves reliable.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
xt

Post by xt »

Fully agree with all of Sir Cumference's observations here, but if one is absolutely determined to use the gallium v. aluminum chemical reaction, why not simply take a strip of aluminum (i.e., your $15 box cut into many, many separate strips?), hang your weighted keyset from that (somewhere out of reach, of course), then apply gallium to it? Eventually the aluminum will fail.

If you cut the aluminum into equal-sized strips, you could pretty quickly and inexpensively test the amount of weight needed to effect the time delay you desired.

Or, is there such a thing as aluminum wire? How about aluminum foil, twisted up?
Sir Cumference

Post by Sir Cumference »

Aluminium comes in wires, rods, tubes and profiles of any shape you can imagine.
Having a well defined shape that is attacked in a well defined way should be much better and somewhat more predictable.

But again, I would not risk having gallium contaminate any metal object I care for.
~ Leatherworking, blacksmithing , woodworking and programming are the most pervertable skills you can learn! ~
bound_jenny

Post by bound_jenny »

And what would one do with the gallium-aluminium goop/soup/glop resulting from this rather messy affair? How does one dispose of something like that?

I'd say that a puddle generated by an ice release is *much* easier to clean up and definitely won't eat its way through the bottom of your trash can.

And Sir C's wire solder timer is even cleaner and a lot more predictable.

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!