Help with electromagnets

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Explorer

Help with electromagnets

Post by Explorer »

Hi everyone...could someone put some shematics for selfbondage with electromagnet,and how to asembly whole proces for relesing device...cant find shematics for building it..maybe if possible controling it with phone or computer thru usb cable...thnx
OrgasmAlley

Re: Help with electromagnets

Post by OrgasmAlley »

There's not much to a schematic. An electromagnet is active when powered and inactive when the power is removed. For any given electromagnet, just get an appropriate power supply (often 12 or 24 VDC, typically around 500 mA) and decide how to switch it off when you want it to release. The simplest method is to plug your power supply into a wall timer (sold to turn lighting on/off) set to ON and set to turn OFF when desired. To switch from a computer via USB, you'll need a USB appliance that provides a relay, which you can wire into the hot line such that when the relay is energized the power is connected and when the relay is not energized the circuit is broken. Note the positive-fail wiring there... in the event of a power failure or USB port implosion etc, the magnet releases.
Explorer

Post by Explorer »

Thanx for help....
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

If I were to do it, I'd have three more aspects I'd consider, being:

1.) Residual magnetism: You will want to be absolutely sure, that the residual magnetism of the electromagnet will not be strong enough to keep hold of your key.
2.) Induction: Depending on the switching-circuit you'll need to make sure to not fry the electronics controlling the magnet once you turn the magnet off. Relays will likely not be a problem in that case though.

And most importantly

3.) Heat: Some electromagnets have the nasty habit of becoming EXTREMELY hot and they are fast at that. Again, testing in a proper surrounding will likely be a good idea.

Just a few first thoughts. Nothing elaborate or detailed yet and I'm quite sure there are more things to consider.
Have fun, but please stay safe.

Regards,
Blacky
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. (W. Blake)
Bobbi-Jo

Post by Bobbi-Jo »

Use electromagnetic door locks, can be had on e-bay for as little as <$20.00. Glue a eye bolt to the outside of one or both to make attachment points. they're 12v so use a cloths pin with a contact on one jaw and a strip of metal as a contact between the jaws as your emergency release.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Yes, the price on what I'd call "standard design" (long silver box, silver and black bars in the magnet region, silver strike plate, typically rated 350 or 600 pounds force) electromagnetic door locks has come down substantially. These are 12VDC 500 mA units from China. They don't create any noticeable heat regardless of use duration, and the strike plate has a spring loaded button to ensure positive disengagement when depowered. i haven't seen any residual magnetism anyway, but the button is a nice feature.

A couple or tips. Easy to use little 2-pole terminal strip for power, but generally are NOT protected against reverse voltage. The strike plate has a hole for mounting, beveled on the contact side. Most of the time, you'll find this hole suitable to be threaded 3/8-16, making it easy to add an eyebolt. If the threads are too shallow (common problem) bevel a 3/8-16 nut to fit the recess on the contact side and use it to lock the eyebolt in place.
A S Rokk

Post by A S Rokk »

Got some "industrial standard" electromagnets. Runs on 24V @ 50mA and are rated 60kg. Used originally for fire hatches - press the button, magnets release the mechanism that holds a springloaded lid closed. The lid opens letting smoke and gases out.

"My" magnets don't get hot, a little warm maybe. However I don't really think they can withstand 60kg force, but they are really great to use. And the anchor whose attachment ring goes straight through anchor and ends up in a point that helps steering anchor and magnet in correct position.
Best controlling device is a timer. Got a 4-channel timer from AliExpress but can be found at eBay as well. Runs on 24V so use a standard bench PSU.

This is something similar to my device: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272331330639?ss ... 1436.l2649
Single channel programmable: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Display-Pro ... zuaxluBCig
Another type: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD-Dis ... SwUsJYWl7P

PS. An 80 kg magnet would be perfect.
Due to the economical crisis, the light at the end of the tunnel has to be switched off.
A S Rokk

Post by A S Rokk »

I will draw some simple plans how to hook up electromagnets, but having no program making electrical diagrams I have to use my scanner and my laptop hooked up to it.
Tomorrow I can show you some simple diagrams. :wink:
Due to the economical crisis, the light at the end of the tunnel has to be switched off.
A S Rokk

Post by A S Rokk »

This is a simplest form of timed electromagnet. In this case I am using a 4-channel programmable electronic timer. There are similar 1- and 2-channel timers that are set up the same.
Some reading of the manual is recommended as there are almost 20 different operation modes. Timers are available from AlkiExpress, eBay and many other places.

First, hook up the timer to a 24V DC-source. A wallwart, battery (bench) psu will do fine. Make sure the PLUS and MINUSES are connected correctly.
The output(s) are relay contacts (no voltage are to be find here - FINE!). Connect the incoming 24V DC to the connector marked NO (Normally Open). The Common connector goes to the electromagnet. The other wire from the electromagnet is taken to the GND or MINUS input from the voltage source.

Easiest way to operate the magnet is to program the timer to activate the relay when supply voltage is applied. When the timer period is over, the relay is deactivated and power is dropped from the electromagnet.
Using a multi-channel timer gives good options to hook up various devices like vibrators to other outputs.

A major benefit is to keep live wires away from the bondage scene - no 115V or 230V near your body.
Timer
Timer
I can be helpful with programming details if needed.
James-nd

Post by James-nd »

Image I have built my own self bondage setup as you described you can see in the picture how I used the magnet it can hold over 200kg so there's no getting out once it's shut I've become quite remorseful at times of this.

I use a failsafe the arduino in the control box handles the timing but a household plug is used as a failsafe just in case.
OrgasmAlley

Post by OrgasmAlley »

Simple redundancy one could add to the relay diagram above is to daisy-chain two relays instead of using just one, such that both relays must be closed to operate the magnet. If using an external signal, you can daisy chain that as well if required. While failures in relays or the circuitry used here to control them is rare, it's not unheard of.