Panic snap lock

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
Gregovic

Panic snap lock

Post by Gregovic »

Mucking around today with a prototype release I was trying to make work (on which I've given up, just not doable with my current tools) I came up with another simple idea for a time release.

Background:
Currently I suspend my keys away from me using a small 12v electromagnet when I do a strict session (similar to this one) powered by a wall wart transformer. Timing is handled by a stack of 3 timer switches. 2 mechanical and 1 digital. After time is up one of them switches off (the digital one if things go well, one of the mechanical ones a bit later if something doesn't go right), the magnet releases the keys and I can get out. Problem with this is that I don't like fiddling around with locks when I am bound. They are tricky and padlocks have a lot of ways in which they can jam shut. I'll be posting more on my views on this at a later time when I can transform my ramblings into something coherent :wink: .
Ideally I'd have something that releases me without any action of my own when the time is up. This is difficult however if you want to keep things light and compact. I also don't like relying on ice melt as I want more control over how long a scene lasts and some of my longer ones last longer than many ice lock available. Plus they cost an arm and a leg and I don't really want to pay that much for a single item.
Slightly less ideal but still better than a padlock imho is a release that stays shut while the timer counts down but can easily be released once the timer runs out. One of those "panic snaps" (random ebay example again) works great as it'll be secure until you lift the catch. But how do you lock it?

The idea:
Take a panic snap. Put it in a box with a hinged lid that closes flush with the top of the box, with only a little nub to grip that provides very little traction. Enough to open the box if nothing is hindering it but not enough to really pull on it. Attach one end of the box to an anchor point and the panic snap to the inside of the box, hook your restraint to through the panic snap through a hole in the bottom of the box, then close the box and switch on the 12v electromagnet that keeps the lid shut! Or have the magnet on already and just push it closed. I'd also put some springs inside to push on the lid, so it'll spring open at release time. With the lid closed and there is no way to reach the panic snap. The magnet exerts enough force on the lid to keep it from being opened with the limited grip available. At release time the lid can be opened and the panic snap released.

I have all the needed materials here to build a prototype, so hopefully I'll soon be able to report back on how things go/work. This type of release would be a lot easier to operate with one hand in difficult positions than a standard padlock, and could potentially be quite compact, though my prototype will unfortunately be on the large size because I couldn't get a smaller panic snap.
Obviously this wouldn't be the type of release than one can suspend a person from or really rough-house around but I'm sure it would be quite reliable.

Edited for fixing the links
Last edited by Gregovic on 22 Apr 2016, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
How may I serve you? *Curtsey*
more_secure

Re: Panic snap lock

Post by more_secure »

Well I've never heard of a panic snap before but I do know that I'll be getting some of these devices on order. If anything to relatively safely test out new scenarios. Thanks for mentioning these Gregovic.
Tenderfoot88

Re: Panic snap lock

Post by Tenderfoot88 »

Get one and make sure you've got its capabilities nailed down before you start using them in bondage, more_secure. I've always found them a bit fiddly, but then, I could have just found a cheap design or a broken model to test with.