Heart rate based release

Ideas and instructions how you can make your own bondage toys.
tinatiedup

Heart rate based release

Post by tinatiedup »

I am very safety conscious when doing self-bondage, so I am always thinking about emergency releases. And I came up with this idea today while doing something totally innocent...

What about using heart rate for emergency release?

That's humans' built-in emergency sensor!

I have been thinking about designing an emergency sensor with things like accelerometer (earthquake), microphone (fire alarm), etc. But to get reasonably good coverage there would need to be a lot of sensors, and some things are very difficult to detect (choking, vomiting while gagged, someone banging at your door, burglar, etc).

Then I realized, all these things will make your heart rate go crazy. Why not just detect an increase in heart rate?

That is easy and cheap - https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ad ... okup-guide
$20 for the chip, and a few $s for pads and cables. Can be read by an Arduino. There are many less fancy methods as well.

Compared to other methods, it is relatively cheap, relatively fast (hearing a fire alarm while tied up will make your heart rate go up very fast), and will work for all emergencies that you can notice, even ones you haven't thought about. It's also the only method that can give you some protection for stupidity... (left front door open, etc).

Now the question is, when there is no emergency, can you artificially increase your heart rate? Well, if you can, you are not sufficiently tied up! Exercise/struggling will increase your heart rate, but that is very hard work, and it means the heart rate will slowly increase. It would be very hard to struggle to the point that your heart is beating at the panic heart rate. The sensor can be designed to only act on sudden increases. If you are just bored, it will decrease your heart rate.

What if you detach the sensor? The system can be designed to not release you if it stops detecting any pulse. That would take away the incentive for you to detach the sensors, since all that would do is disable your emergency release. What if your heart actually stops suddenly? Well, you'll be dead anyways if you are home alone, even if you are not tied up. That's not even part of the risk of being tied up, that's just part of the risk of being home alone.

What if you have so much confidence in the system that you don't actually panic when there's a fire?... I don't think that's actually possible. Even if it was, as soon as you realize this is happening and you are not getting released, you will panic then :P.

What do you think?
bound_jenny

Re: Heart rate based release

Post by bound_jenny »

Putting a lot of confidence in a complex thingamalogical doohickey to act as a release (and thus entrusting your life to it) is a big red flag for me. :shock:

I don't even trust my computer that far. :rofl:

Jenny.
Helplessness is a doorway to the innermost reaches of the soul.
If my corset isn't tight, it just isn't right!
Kink is the spice of life!
Come to the Dark Side - we have cookies!
tinatiedup

Post by tinatiedup »

Hahaha it's only as emergency release when all else fails!

There are many crazy things that can potentially happen, and other emergency releases all require you to do something. Your body will increase your heart rate for free, and you can do it even if your hands are completely numb from cut-off circulation! There is also no string to get tangled up (or break), etc.

So as long as your heart rate can reliably go up, and the heart rate sensor is reliable, this is probably lower risk than other emergency release methods.
Riddle

Post by Riddle »

That is a neat sensor board and you do have an interesting idea. I believe bound_jenny is pointing out that an emergency release should be immediately available and guaranteed to work. People here often think of emergency releases as knives, spare keys, bolt cutters, etc. My emergency release is a kill switch cutting power to the timer and the solenoid valves providing immediate release. A back-up release mechanism is an alternative release option which is supposed to release if the primary fails. This is like powering the timer and valves with a battery. If the timer fails, release will occur later when the battery dies. Your heart rate sensor idea is a completely new category: alternative releases.

Sensing the heart rate and using this to release early sounds like a good idea. The questions are how effective will it be and how trustworthy will it be? Some like bound_jenny will not trust anything computerized with their own life and reasonably so. Now, I would be curious to know how to test and program it to detect what your heart rate does when your house is on fire. Is it a slow, smoldering fire filling the room with carbon monoxide and putting the occupants to sleep? Does the emergency slowly build in concern like an earthquake so the program thinks the person is just struggling against the restraints? Is the heart rate set too low or too high? There are a lot of variables to figure out. I can hear a noise and have my heart rate start racing without a need to be released.

Including this as part of an already well designed and safe bondage setup as an additional release mechanism sounds like a good idea to me. Adding accelerometers, temperature sensors, smoke detectors, and microphones at some point also sounds like a good idea. I have considered looking at methods to monitor my blood oxygen level also. Then again, I am curious about my pulse and oxygen while I sleep also. The thing is that all this complexity makes it more likely to not work as intended and the results could be fatal. Hope you use a good emergency release with it.
Resident timer maker. :hi:
Let’s make timers together!
tinatiedup

Post by tinatiedup »

Riddle wrote:That is a neat sensor board and you do have an interesting idea. I believe bound_jenny is pointing out that an emergency release should be immediately available and guaranteed to work. People here often think of emergency releases as knives, spare keys, bolt cutters, etc. My emergency release is a kill switch cutting power to the timer and the solenoid valves providing immediate release. A back-up release mechanism is an alternative release option which is supposed to release if the primary fails. This is like powering the timer and valves with a battery. If the timer fails, release will occur later when the battery dies. Your heart rate sensor idea is a completely new category: alternative releases.
Indeed. It is not a backup for when primary release fails, but for when there's a fire or earthquake.
Sensing the heart rate and using this to release early sounds like a good idea. The questions are how effective will it be and how trustworthy will it be? Some like bound_jenny will not trust anything computerized with their own life and reasonably so. Now, I would be curious to know how to test and program it to detect what your heart rate does when your house is on fire. Is it a slow, smoldering fire filling the room with carbon monoxide and putting the occupants to sleep? Does the emergency slowly build in concern like an earthquake so the program thinks the person is just struggling against the restraints? Is the heart rate set too low or too high? There are a lot of variables to figure out. I can hear a noise and have my heart rate start racing without a need to be released.
In this category, I don't think anything is completely infallible, because there are just too many things that can go wrong, so all we can do is minimize. It would be very difficult to test by setting my house on fire, but if I have the heart rate data from a normal session, I can set the threshold to be just a little higher than that. If it gets triggered pre-maturely, I can increase it some more. I have been in panics and I know my heart will go very very fast in a panic. Setting a low threshold then increasing it slowly is a safe and reliable way to find a good threshold. I also have good cardiovascular strength, so I know it's highly unlikely that just struggling will get my heart rate high enough.

In the case of smoldering fire, if I become aware of it, I will panic and heart rate will go up before CO has time to do anything. Even better, I have a CO alarm in my house. It will alert me and I will panic way before CO can have any physiological effect. If I don't become aware of it, I wouldn't have used any alternative release anyways.

If you don't want to be released if your heart rate goes up when you hear a noise, this is not for you :). In that case I want to be released, because that noise could be coming from a burglar (which, statistically speaking, is probably the most likely actual emergency). I want to be released if I panic for any reason. Intentional panic-ing is not my idea of fun and I'll never do a session where that's an element.

I have survived 1 major and 1 moderate earthquake, so I know the panic won't slowly build. It will build just as fast as if it was a fire.
Including this as part of an already well designed and safe bondage setup as an additional release mechanism sounds like a good idea to me. Adding accelerometers, temperature sensors, smoke detectors, and microphones at some point also sounds like a good idea. I have considered looking at methods to monitor my blood oxygen level also. Then again, I am curious about my pulse and oxygen while I sleep also. The thing is that all this complexity makes it more likely to not work as intended and the results could be fatal. Hope you use a good emergency release with it.
Accelerometers, temperature sensors, smoke detectors, and microphone, etc, were my original plan. But like you said, it gets awfully complicated really fast. Heart rate is nice and simple. It's just a number.

Blood oxygen level is also a good idea, though that's harder to measure. In the case of heart rate, there are even commercial products! https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... te+monitor

The system can be designed so that if it doesn't receive a heart rate update in a certain time (as opposed to receiving updates of 0 bpm) it can trigger release. That would solve the problem of the sensor failing. It's highly unlikely that it will fail and continue sending reasonable and non-constant (which can be detected) pulse values over bluetooth. And if you are truly paranoid - wear 2 independent sensors?
boundhacker

Post by boundhacker »

Instead of using the heart rate as a release mechanism, it could be used as a sort of "house arrest" monitor. The idea being:

If you're 'restricted' you shouldn't show a very large amount of walking! (unless your jailer wants you to exersize!)
You must wear the monitor at all times (a gap in the heart rate graph would be easy to see)

It does depend on a friend (or some community, like a web site) being able to see your data, and that you'd want to be held responsible if you broke the rules.